April 10, 2008

Elise Boulding

Finished an article on Elise Boulding and her life:

Morrison, M. L. (2006). The Life and Work of Elise Boulding: Honoring Women as Peacemakers. Affilia, 21(2), 169-183.

Great article on the life of a person devoted to making and exploring peace. Based on my limited experience in this subject so far, it seems that women are at the forefront of this movement/tradition. I love the fact that she relates her experience of raising family as a microcosm of community building. What a great metaphor for what peace might look like and how it might arise. Sowing seeds of peace in children and future generations seems to be an important component for any sort of action plan for long term effectiveness.

I read this to get ready for Cultures of Peace. Still getting started with All Men are Brothers. Set up a big order for books via Powell's so that I will never run out of materials for my trip. Going to check out the Social Justice Summit on campus.

No comments: